Our fees are all-inclusive.  Our fees include disbursements, HST, government fees (for registration and final searches on the day of closing) and title insurance (for purchases). Try our comprehensive online cost calculator by clicking here.

Special considerations include: additional mortgages/conditions, bridge loan, rush closing, guarantors, Power of Attorney (POA), separation, title clean up, same/similar name executions, discharging additional instruments (e.g. Notice of Security Interest), Assignment of Rents and tenancy assumption.

If you are unsure about your particular transaction, please use our comprehensive online cost calculator by clicking here, or email us at info@wearelaw.ca and we can provide a comprehensive all-inclusive quote based on your unique circumstances.

We care!  See what they say about us us in “Profiles of Success“.

We sure do!  Feel free to download these attachments.  You can print or email them to your clients and colleagues.   Let us know if you need anything else.

F|K Brochure

F|K Directions

F|K in Profiles of Success

If you like, feel free to contact us and we would be very happy to send you a package.

Yes!  We have ample free parking in our private parking lot. Just drive on in!

Generally speaking, title insurance protects you from ‘actual loss’ arising from defects in your title, compliance risks, and other risks, all as specifically set out in the policy, subject to any listed exceptions.

If a condominium owner fails to follow the Declaration, Bylaws, or Rules of the condominium, the condominium corporation could take disciplinary action.  Owners and residents are obligated to comply with all valid rules.  Should they refuse to do so, the board may institute mediation and if necessary, arbitration or, in some circumstances, apply to court for a compliance order.  That’s the law in a nutshell.

Some condominium corporations are lax on their enforcement of the rules.  Having said that, there are also those that take breaches of the rules very seriously.  Owners and residents can start to notice the “exception” that is being made, and put pressure on the condominium corporation to enforce the rules.

Depending on the condominium corporation’s insurance policy, you may be responsible for paying the condominium’s corporation’s deductible, if a claim is made by you under their policy.  But you can obtain your own insurance to cover the amount of that deductible.  That is what condominium deductible insurance is.

Once we email you your Power of Attorney (“POA” ) documents, all you need to do is:

  • Print three (3) copies of the attached POA (on legal sized 8.5″ x 14″ paper);
  • Attend at a notary’s office and ensure you initial the bottom of every page and sign the last page;
  • Make sure you attend at the notary’s office with at least one witness (who is not yourself);
  • Have the one witness initial every page and sign the last page;
  • Have the notary initial every page and sign and seal the last page (as a witness);
  • Have the notary write a letter confirming he/she has examined your identification and is satisfied as to your identity.

Fax them immediately and courier the original documents to our office.

In most cases, money is held in trust for a short period of time and no interest is charged.
For any monies that we have to hold in trust for longer than a month (which is very rare), we charge an administrative fee of $500 per month.

First, Click here to go to the City of Toronto’s website to make the Vacant Home Tax Declaration. Then, click the button “Submit Complaint/Appeal or Respond to Audit. From here, you want to log in using your property’s tax roll number and customer number, which can be obtained from your latest tax bill. Finally, you want to take a screenshot or print the page so you can keep a copy of this confirmation for your records.

If you are looking to purchase a property with others, you will need to decide how you wish to hold title (take ownership). A joint tenancy and a tenancy in common are the main forms through which two or more persons may collectively hold interests in property. 

Joint Tenants

  • Each of you would equally own an undivided share of the property;
  • In the event of death, the property goes to the surviving owner(s), regardless of the provisions of the deceased’s will.

Joint Tenants is the most common form of ownership for married spouses, as it allows the surviving purchaser(s) on title to immediately inherit the property. 

Tenants in Common

  • Each of you would own a divided share (%) of the property;
  • In the event of death, the percentage share in the property goes to the deceased’s estate, which must then be probated before their interest can be transferred to the named beneficiary under their will.

Tenants in Common is the most common form of ownership for business partners, as it separates out each of their proportionate shares in the property, and allows for each proportionate share to transfer in accordance with one’s will – and not to the surviving business partner(s).  

If you choose tenants in common, we recommend you have a co-ownership agreement to spell out the rights to the property.

If you are purchasing a property with others, you will be making decisions and sharing responsibilities for the property (maintenance, financing, etc.).  Establishing a legal agreement between the co-owners provides clarity about the rights and obligations of each of the co-owners.  It also protects everyone in the case of disputes. This agreement is called a co-ownership agreement.

The types of issues that are addressed in a co-ownership include: can a third person who is not an owner live in the property? Is each owner required to pay a share of the property taxes, utilities, maintenance, insurance premiums and other carrying costs? Who will make decisions with respect to repairs and maintenance? Can one owner sell his or her interest to a third party? 

Should you require a co-ownership agreement, please let us know and we would be happy to offer you a quote.